Connect with us

These Are The Most Harmful Foods You Should Never Feed To Your Dog

Advertisement

Advertisement

It can be difficult to deny your puppy a tasty treat when they’re begging you with those adorable puppy eyes. Many foods which may be perfectly healthy and delicious for you are very dangerous – and sometimes even deadly – for your precious pet. The following slideshow will help to enlighten even the most experienced dog owners on what foods to avoid feeding to your beloved pets.

 

1. Chocolate

The main ingredient in chocolate called cacao beans, contains a family of compounds known as methylxanthines. When consumed, this substance can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and seizures in dogs, and can be fatal in some cases. Although dark chocolate contains more of this toxic substance, white chocolate and milk chocolate should also be avoided — especially in smaller dogs who are at greater risk.

2. Alcohol

Similar to chocolate, alcohol also contains the toxic substance known as methylxanthines. Even in small doses, it can lead to poisoning and should be avoided at all costs. This also includes mouthwash and fermented foods, which can cause loss of coordination, drowsiness, vomiting, respiratory failure, and sometimes death.

3. Coconuts

Although coconuts are considered non-toxic to dogs, it does contain medium chain triglycerides, which may upset your dog’s stomach. In large quantities, your dog may likely run into issues digesting the food which will lead to gastrointestinal upset and bloating. It is recommended to consult your vet before feeding coconut or coconut oil to your dog, and ensuring it is only given in moderation so that you can monitor potential side effects.

4. Grapes & Raisins

Grapes and raisins have been well documented by researches to have a high toxicity for dogs, though they have yet to discover exactly what causes the unfortunate reaction. None the less, both grapes and raisins  are two of the foods that should never be ingested by your dog as they can cause kidney failure which could be fatal. If you suspect your dog has eaten any of these foods, it’s important to seek emergency care as soon as possible, even if no obvious symptoms are visible.

5. Apple Cores

Even though apples are perfectly fine for dogs to eat, the seeds found in their cores contain a form of cyanide which is poisonous to both dogs and humans. Symptoms of poisoning include dilated pupils, lethargy, rapid breathing or panting, and vomiting or diarrhea. The amount of cyanide contained in apple seeds is relatively small, however you should always seek medical attention for your pet if you’re concerned they’ve consumed anything poisonous.

6. Coffee

Like chocolate and alcohol, coffee contains methylxanthines, which can be very dangerous for dogs. Tea bags, diet pills, soda and many energy drinks are pumped full of caffeine and should always be kept out of reach of your furry friend. Within one to two hours after ingesting, dogs will begin showing symptoms of poisoning.

7. Dairy

Like humans, dogs can also suffer from lactose intolerance. Dogs are naturally very low produces of the enzyme necessary to break down lactose, thus they are highly susceptible to lactose intolerance. It’s best to keep their consumption of milk and cheeses to a minimum, otherwise it may lead to vomiting, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems.

8. Macadamia Nuts

It is still unknown what specific chemical in macadamia nuts is harmful to dogs, but they are know to cause a toxic reaction if ingested. The common symptoms found are weakness and inability to walk in their hind legs. Also, dogs have been found to develop symptoms of vomiting, depression, and muscle tremors. There is no antidote, but more often than not dogs will recover with supportive treatment and nursing care.

9. Avocado

Avocado fruit, seeds and leaves may contain a toxic principle known as persin. When consumed, they have been known to cause mild upset stomach in dogs, but the bigger concern is the pit. If eaten whole, they can cause a serious obstruction and are a major choking hazard. These are one of the foods which should be highly avoided in your pet’s diet.

10. Onions

You may be wondering, can dogs eat onions? The short answer is no, they can’t. Feeding dogs onions can make them seriously ill because they will damage the dog’s red blood cells over time. If a dog has consumed more than 0.5% of it’s body weight in onions, it should receive veterinary care as soon as possible, as it can take several days for symptoms to appear which may be too late to cure.

10. Peaches

Just like avocados, the pits of peaches contain trace amounts of cyanide. Fortunately, dogs can still eat cut up pieces of the fruit’s flesh in moderation without experiencing any negative side effects. Dogs who have eaten peach pits in the past have been known to suffer kidney failure within a few days, thus it’s very important to have them seen by a vet as soon as possible.

11. Raw Eggs

A common concern with consuming raw eggs in both dogs and humans is the potential exposure to salmonella. Additionally, feeding your dog raw eggs regularly can lead to biotin efficiency. Besides this, there are benefits to feeding your dog raw eggs as they contain essential fatty and amino acids and they can even help settle an upset stomach; however due to the risks, it’s best to serve them cooked or boiled.

12. Bones

If you must give your dog a bone, it’s recommended to choose one that is approximately the size of your dog’s head. This is because smaller bones have been known to break apart and become choking hazards. Additionally, never give your dog a cooked bone as they can splinter, causing significant oral trauma. If fed correctly, bones can give your dog great chewing stimulation and can help keep their teeth clean.

13. Corn on the Cob

A serious blockage can develop in a dog’s intestines if they so happen to get ahold of and eat corn on the cob. This differs from corn kernels which have been properly removed from the cob; those are safe for dogs to consume. Symptoms can include tiredness, poor appetite and abdominal tenderness or pain. In the worst cases, parts of the damaged intestines may need to be removed.

14. Garlic

Unfortunately, the medicinal benefits garlic has on humans does not affect pets. In fact, garlic is highly toxic to both dogs and cats as their bodies metabolize it differently than ours. Garlic contains thiosulfate which causes oxidative damage to dog’s red blood cells. This results in anemia, rabid breathing, lethargy, jaundice and discolored urine. It does take quite a bit of garlic to cause toxicity, however some dogs can be more sensitive than others.

15. Cherries

The main issues with feeding cherries to dogs is the pits. Cherry pits contain cyanide which is toxic to both humans and pets at certain levels. If you do want to feed cherries to your dog, make sure to remove the stems, leaves and pits. It will also help to moderate their consumption to only a few in order to avoid complicating your dog’s life.

16. Mushrooms

While regular, store-bought mushrooms are likely to not cause harm to your dog, if your lawn is prone to growing wild mushrooms, it’s important to ensure these are regularly removed. Wild mushrooms are highly toxic to dog’s and can make then extremely sick after only taking a few bites. Mushroom poisoning can be recognized by excessive saliva or drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, lethargy and seizures. It’s important to take your dog to the vet as soon as any of these symptoms are prevalent.

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement