3 days ago Pete Stilwell, a developer at Blizzard posted this in the community forum:
Warcraft III’s first official PTR lives. Join us on the field of battle as we test the new Map Pools for 1’s, 2’s, 3’s, 4’s and Free-for-All.
General Improvements & Gameplay Objectives
- Balanced creep camp difficulty progression from early to late game
- Balanced creep drop tables for better item progression from early game to late game
- Item diversity: Varied Level 1 though 6 charged items and Level 1 through 6 permanent items
- Balanced all start locations: total amount and starting distance from lumber, equal amount of spacing, equal size choke points, et cetera
- Balanced expansion distance from start locations
- Decluttered points of interest to reduce visual competition during gameplay
- Retextured map surfaces for better visual clarity – both on screen and mini-map
- Minimized the size of trees and doodads that obstructed player view of points of interest
- Added cliff lines or deep water to edges of the map – removing hard edges (aesthetic choice for immersion)
- Properly placed trees and doodads on the pathing grid: full-cell Medium Grid to half-cell Medium Grid alternate
- Removed the rolling shoreline waves from rolling hills to remove the noise the waves created – remains for cliff shores
There are new maps added to the pool for all modes, 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 and FFA. The rumors about the HD version aren’t new, so it’s very possible that we will have some kind of announcement soon. The only problem here is that they worked on SC:R most of the time and SC:R was announced a year into development with 90% of the updated graphics in place.
Here is a list of Map Pools
List of 1 v 1 maps
List of 2 v 2 maps
List of 3 v 3 maps
List of 4 v 4 maps
List of FFA maps
All of this information confirms nothing, for now, but we have reasons to believe Warcraft 3 HD will be announced very soon. The game was a true masterpiece and if Blizzard took the time to remaster Starcraft they will surely put some man power into Warcraft as well.